Sunday, May 20, 2007

Cross-Country Handsomeness

What better way to get back to blogging than with a picture of a beautiful Toronto boy with beautiful tattoos? We had dinner with this one on our stop over in T-dot. Luckily for me he hates to have his photo taken so I was able to get his cute mug and his fantastic zips.

And then two hours after we departed from Mississauga to begin our roadtrip...Here's Bentley getting four new tires in Barrie, Ontario. A large piece of rubber had come off one of the rears (we'd replaced only the front two in Montreal) and the Canadian Tire we limped into wouldn't change one unless we changed all. Seems the four that were on there were too big to be safe. The VERY nice mechanic helped Andreas strap the new ones from Montreal to the van's roof. Lucky for us we'd been fined $300 in Montreal for having lights up there otherwise where would we have fit those tires?The kids and I waited in the shade (four hours +) til I could stomach the $800 bill.The Cheat was exhausted.
But once we were back on the road we saw (and made use of) some beautiful country.Umm, I can't really explain this one. Here I am in the middle of the country with Scabbers and The Cheat and a large fish.I expected to HATE Winnipeg (obviously) but here it is at 5am and it was gorgeous. It's quite a pretty city and was our best motel stop along the way. We were sure that there were no dogs allowed in the motel so we smuggled them inside in bags. I was totally stressed out and tense and an hour later we read that pets were okay in most of these joints (Travel Lodge). I began to book then in advance.

Saskatoon was fantastic and we were put up by some lovely prairie kids who showed us around and took us to a farm. Clint has built a beautiful studio out there under those big skies. The two bumps in the field are not prairie dogs but country-loving rugged city hounds. It was windy, vast and amazing.Alas we had to get back on the road. We thought a lot about Laura and Jon in this place and what it is that makes prairie folk so frackin delightful.Blah blah Jasper elk blah blah...
Who needs REAL animals when you've got these great signs with PICTURES of animals!?!Yowza!! Why do I even make art this is so good?! I tried to get a shot of all of em including the elk, wolf and deer. Oh you Provincial Park smarties. Oh Canada.
Marty drinking a lake with two loons in it. Blep blep blep.

In PRINCE GEORGE, B.C. I decided to try and trade up ol Bentley for this bigger and more practical truck. Here I am working my magic on some firefighters who drove over to my parents house to get their knives sharpened. Ha ha ha I'm saying, you're so funny. That's Mom and Dad's place in the background and Papa coming down the driveway.
The Mystic Wizard...
Our new roomate in a pair of VanderKooij's sunglasses


Our other new roomate. She may look fierce but there's no need to fear her. She pinched her brother the other day while squeeling "It hurts me too!".Both kids have excellent manners and are great at sharing. In fact, if an old guy's too tired to walk he can simply have their place in the stroller.

1 comment:

finger thumb said...

ohmigosh, loved the post. It is so good to see your trip pictures! We love to see your smiling faces, but even more we loved to see the beautiful Canadian wildlife that you managed to take pictures of on the way. Like the Cheatus Sisium, the elusive Scabberus Marceleum and the very, very rare Cainus Clifferdus. Well done!
By the way, your room mate is absolutely right. Whenever I pinch Alan I'm always sure to tell him that it hurts me too!